In September, the family of Tyler Chase received devastating news – he had passed away from a drug overdose. Three months later, they were informed that the body was actually that of someone else. The situation became even more tragic when they learned that Chase had been staying at a rehab center and was sober for several months.
One day, while trying to use his food stamps at a department store, Chase realized his credit card was no longer active. This led him to suspect something was wrong as he desperately searched for employment. When he went to authorities to resolve the issue, he was shocked to discover that a death certificate had been filed in his name. He contacted the Portland Police who went to the rehab center where he was staying to investigate the situation.
After an investigation, it was discovered that a man living at the rehab center had died from an overdose and was mistakenly identified as Chase. His family was mistakenly notified of his death and the body was cremated without being properly identified. The news left Chase’s cousin Tasha Rosales convinced that her cousin was still alive until she found out about the misidentification and raised over $1000 for his cremation.
Chase eventually found work in Portland helping the homeless and realized how easily he could have met the same fate as his cousin who died from a drug overdose. The Multnomah County spokesperson expressed deep regret for the misidentification and new procedures were put in place to prevent such errors from happening again, ensuring that families are properly notified of their loved ones’ deaths in such situations.